The only Pulitzer the 1619 Project deserved was for fiction

Number 6 in our series on “the Indoctrination of our Public Schools.”

May 04, 2020  Opinion

Pulitzer malpractice: Apparently, willful error can now win you the most elite prize in journalism. Mike Vitelli/BFA.com for The New York Times

As it was designed to do, The New York Times’ woefully mistaken 1619 Project just won a Pulitzer Prize. Worse, the award for commentary actually went to Nichole Hannah-Jones for her essay introducing the series — that is, to the article that brought the most sustained criticism from historians across the spectrum for its naked errors of fact.

The project’s central conceit is that “out of slavery grew nearly everything that has truly made America exceptional: its economic might, its industrial power, its electoral system.” Hannah-Jones even argued that the main reason American Revolution was fought to preserve slavery — a claim so contrary to the truth that the Times eventually corrected that part of her essay, though only to add two words: Now it says “some of” the founders fought chiefly for that reason.

It’s still not true — and the experts she consulted told her so. Leslie M. Harris, a black history prof at Northwestern, says she warned Hannah-Jones: “Far from being fought to preserve slavery, the Revolutionary War became a primary disrupter of slavery in the North American Colonies.”

Apparently, willful error can now win you the most elite prize in journalism.

Nor was that her only distortion. Hannah-Jones also claims that President Abraham Lincoln “opposed black equality.” As part of The Post’s weeklong Twisted History series on the 1619 Project, historian Allen Guelzo pointed out that that Lincoln called for black voting rights and was hailed by Frederick Douglass as “emphatically the colored man’s president.”

But Hannah-Jones’ project barely mentions Douglass — a giant of 19th century America — or other great black freedom fighters. Even the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and the entire civil-rights movement get short shrift because they contradict her thesis.

Slavery and Jim Crow are tremendous stains on America’s history. But Hannah-Jones took it far beyond that, insisting that they are the nation’s essence. That’s why the country’s top US history scholars — Princeton’s Sean Wilentz and James McPherson, Brown’s Gordon Wood, CUNY’s James Oakes — united to denounce Hannah-Jones’ core claims.   Too bad the Pulitzer committee now thinks that facts are irrelevant to journalism.                                            New York Post (Original link)

1. Mannyr
    Aug 14, 2020 @ 15:35:09

Here is the example of “dumbing down our public schools.” Also the motives of the elite First Estate –our so called free press.

2. RaPaR
    Aug 14, 2020 @ 15:59:35

Sounds like you haven’t even listened to the podcast or read the project work itself. She never made any of those assertions and Lincoln, for his part, did, in fact, believe that it would be better for African-American slaves to return to Africa and stay separated from whites. That is political fact.

But if you keep learning your history from the place mats at Arby’s you’re probably not going to pick that up. The fact is our “history” has been severely whitewashed to make us look like a “good” country. Read real history like “A Peoples History of the United States” by Howard Zinn. But then, you’d probably deny that also. We call that “delusion” in the psychiatric circles.

• Mannyr
      Aug 15, 2020 @ 17:10:00

In reply to RaPaR

Having spilled at least a cup full of beef juices on my very own Arby’s place-mat I wiped my mouth with my sleeve and produced a hardy belch and followed it up with hefty fart. I had found the beef.
      It is sad that cheap indoctrination of Zinn’s history may be is popular, but it is also massively wrong. Howard Zinn’s A People’s History of the United States has sold more than 2.5 million copies. It is pushed by Hollywood celebrities, defended by university professors who know better, (maybe they don’t) and assigned in high school and college classrooms to teach students that American history is nothing more than a litany of oppression, slavery, and exploitation.
      Let me just say the unmistakable puppeteering of those raised in the warehouse of public education is sickening and has no alternative except the spread of hatred and violence by limited minds filled to overflowing with socialist phlegm.

Let me be polite by saying, thanks for replying to my post. I enjoyed your candid statement in one of your posts that said, “ Anyone following my blog, RaPaR knows, I been researching the origins of Judaism & Christianity for many years. I was born Roman Catholic into an Italian-American family in Brooklyn, NY in 1955. I am now an Atheist since delving into the Bible to find alternative answers to Catholic doctrine that I believed to be man-made.”

I applaud your discovery that Catholic doctrine is indeed man-made. I have for years used a well-worn phrase, about Nuns and their habit. “Any friend of Zorro is a friend of mine.
      May I inquire, did you attend Catholic school or public school? Space and time does not allow for an assault on your worldly assumptions about Christianity but having said that I look forward to checking out your point of view. Must run they are having a great sale at Arby’s

Wishing you God’s speed in you replies.
      Mannyrilla of the Cracked-Pot blog.

• RaPaR
        Aug 16, 2020 @ 15:06:35

I get it, as I’ve said multiple times, Repugnatcans, Christians, et al, hate the truth or any more truthful version of their inane, hypocritical mythology. I get it. It’s hard to let go. Yes, I attended catholic school for the first 6 years of life, then – after my parents divorced – was sent to public school. Since your virulent hatred of Zinn’s history is so palatable, I beg you to provide a refutation to any part of it, any part at all, with cohesive facts. Then you can slander him to your satisfaction. My guess is that you’ve never read even a single word of his book or any of his work.
        BTW, ALL Christian doctrine is man-made. Every single word, every single thought or idea. It is all nonsense. But then, I’m willing to guess you haven’t read or studied the Bible either or you would already know that.

Enjoy!

Aug 14, 2020 @ 18:14:04

Hi Manny. I’m going to read this entire series today. I just wanted to see if this comment “took” before making any lengthy comments. For some reason, in the not too distant past, I’ve tried leaving comments on your blog and they disappear.
    God’s blessings brother. I’m off to check your comment on my blog and then I’m going to read these.

4. Mannyr
    Aug 15, 2020 @ 15:19:53

Good to hear from you brother. I have often wondered myself about comments lacking. My intent is to show how this vicious indoctrination has taken root in our warehousing industry called public education. We are to blame for not getting up in the face of incompetency. I have many educators in my family line, my two daughters being employed as teachers in Special Ed, and my oldest about to teach 6th graders. It has to be hard to work in one’s career and work against truth and ill informed so called teachers who build on lies and falsehoods. Press on brother against error and half truths.

• Chris
      Aug 18, 2020 @ 01:07:55

They seriously want to “reframe the country’s history” by crossing out 1776 as America’s founding date and substituting 1619, the year 20 or so African slaves were brought to Jamestown, Va.?
      Why not trace our founding to The Civil Rights Act of 1964? Our history books wouldn’t have to be quite as long. The only problem with that is that people have questions about how this country started and how we made it this far.
      We could reframe the country’s history to include what we know about native Americans. Or, we could reframe it the day the first European sinner set foot in what became America. That would, of course, be the first day a European set foot in what became America.
      I really don’t see a problem with using the date the current government of America was founded. We know the country wasn’t perfect, never has been, and never will be. Slavery is a part of our history that I used to think most had learned from. How many black people have attained to a much higher level of education and “success” than I have. I do not give them less or more credit because of their skin color.
      My parents were my role models when it came to anyone who looked different than I did. My mom always used to quote the Bible verse that “man looks on the outward appearance but God looks at the heart.”
      She practiced what she preached. When the first black family moved in next door, into our all white neighborhood, my mom welcomed them. When they weren’t going to have their water turned on for a few days my mom told them they were welcome to use our tub.
      I understand that there are a small minority of police officers who have treated black people unfairly. They should get into serious trouble for that, just like those who steal and loot and ruin people’s businesses. I also understand that the vast majority of police officers just want to do their jobs and get home safely to their families. Most are not racists. I think that the vast majority of people in America are not racist. Continually calling people racists who aren’t racists does not have a good effect. I think we are seeing the results of far too much of that.
      I don’t even know if any of my personal “forefathers” were racists. If they were, would I be responsible for their decisions?
      I believe like my mom did that man looks on the outward appearance but God looks at the heart. He even knows the heart of the person here who likes Howard Zinn whether he/she believes it or not. This person believes that Christianity is nonsense. It is still a free country and he/she has the right to believe whatever he/she wants as do I.
      As we believe Christianity is the truth, every Christian should wish for every atheist to become a faithful follower of Jesus Christ. The Great Commission has influenced the missionary activities of many Christians since its declaration. No matter what percentage of the population decides to deny the existence of God, the Great Commission will be on the minds and hearts of believers worldwide.
      How can Christians hate the truth when they believe they (with the Holy Spirit’s help) are seeking it?

Manny, you have stated that your intent is to show how vicious indoctrination has taken root in our warehousing industry called public education. I think you have made a good case.

5. RaPaR
    Aug 16, 2020 @ 15:13:47

Sounds good, “bros”, I’ll be over here with my head in the sand.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )