How a Father builds character into children?

Ephesians 6:1-4

There was a family in the San Francisco Bay area that grew up with commitment. The son’s name was David Kraft. His father was a pastor, a godly pastor in the South Bay. David Kraft grew up with a father who constantly remembered God’s faithfulness in the past so that David might trust in God in all of his tomorrows. David grew up in love with Jesus, and he felt the call of God into the pastoral ministry.

David Kraft was a big, strong man — all muscle. At the age of 32, he was six feet, two inches tall and weighed 200 pounds. He had been to seminary and ended up working with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, because of his athletic background.character

Then he was diagnosed with cancer. It wracked his body, and over a period of time, he dropped from 200 pounds to 80 pounds.

When he was about ready to pass from this life into eternity, he asked his father to come into his hospital room. Lying there in bed, he looked up and said, “Dad, do you remember when I was a little boy, how you used to hold me in your arms close to your chest?”

David’s father nodded. Then David said, “Do you think, Dad, you could do that one more time? One last time?”

Again his father nodded. He bent down to pick up his 32-year-old, six-foot, two-inch, 80-pound son, and held him close to his chest, so that the son’s face was right next to the father’s face. They were eyeball to eyeball. Tears were streaming down both faces, and the son said to his father, “Thank you for building the kind of character into my life that can enable me to face even a moment like this.” Proverbs 22:6

Men, I dare you to be that kind of father (or grandfather) to your children. Dare to build into them the kind of character that will enable them to face anything in life. Then you will be a real leader, not only in your home, but among your peers, as well.

Part of message I delivered yesterday in Carson California.

Advertisements

1. Andy Oldham
    Jun 21, 2016 @ 02:54:11

Profound Post!!!

• Mannyr
      Jun 21, 2016 @ 14:18:25

Andy, thanks for replying. First time i read it with my wife i had to stop three times and wait for my tears to stop as well as my emotions to calm down.

• Andy Oldham
        Jun 21, 2016 @ 14:41:05

I know what you mean. My children are grown now, but still remind them of our loving God and that their character is what my grandchildren are watching and listening to. We have an awesome responsibility and it doesn’t stop when we have an empty nest.

Jun 21, 2016 @ 11:44:24

I’m sure your audience was blessed as I am after reading this, Manny. In worldly terms it is a sad story. In heavenly terms it is wonderful.

One never wants to see another human being have to go through such agony. David must have had a difficult time hearing certain scriptures and then others must have been such a comfort.

in the end, he trusted in God’s amazing grace and he left his faithful earthly father only to be awakened into a wonderful place. It is a place of God’s presence.

Thank you for sharing this with all of us, Manny. This account has touched my heart early in the day, when one needs just such a message.

God’s blessings my friend…

• Mannyr
      Jun 21, 2016 @ 14:31:58

It was a two part message on good Dad, bad Dad. The bad meant a Dad who never affirmed his children because he did not know how himself, because his Dad did not either.

David’s Dad took great pains to build the Way of the Lord into his son.

• Chris
        Jun 21, 2016 @ 14:56:09

This goes along with the Biblical idea of generations affecting the next. A bad Dad can be very influential, but, in the end, the child must still make its own way and be responsible for his/her own actions.

I can give many examples of people who had bad Dads but, by the grace of God, their lives were changed, and they have been able to good affirmation to the next generations.

My preacher admitted as much in church this Father’s day. He had come from a line of unbelievers. Yet, when his mother wanted to send her children to church on the bus, my preacher’s father disagreed. He felt is was not a good example to send the children and remain at home.

This man had some common sense even though he never claimed to be a Christian.

I bet you got a great response from this message. It is much needed in our current times.

God’s blessings, Manny.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )