Practical living and God’s Word.

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. Psalm 119:105 NKJV.

light to feet

All of us as Christians are too inexperienced in much of life to be without a guide. God’s Word is that guide. Psalm 119 is the longest psalm in the Bible; it unfolds manifold (God’s wisdom full of many shades, tints, hues, and colorful expressions) features of the Word in a dynamic manner that assists us in life’s most practical circumstances.

Of all the 176 verses none focus on this more clearly than verse 105. In this verse we see how God’s Word lights the way, giving direction for each step (“to my feet”) and supplying wisdom for long-range plans (“to my path”).

Joshua under Moses is a great example of a man who learned to lead from God’s chosen leader. Joshua spoke of the regular application of God’s Word to life as the most certain way to both success and prosperity in daily living (Josh. 1:8).

The lesson to be learned above all others is that knowledge and practical application of the Word will keep one from sin and thus enable him to know and serve God appropriately (119:9, 11, 92, 98, 105, 130, 133, 176).

Ps. 119:130 says, the entrance of Your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple ( pethawee #6612,  foolish). God’s Word gives a truth that points us toward the avoidance of making decisions based on human delusion or outright senselessness.

little girls light

A great reminder is found in Proverbs 6:23, For the Commandment (not a suggestion) is a lamp, and the Law a light; reproofs of instruction are the way of life…

Has God’s Word been a guide to you in your daily walk? More often than I like to admit, our Lord has asked me if I won’t obey His Word perhaps I need a trip to the shed—a place where I learn lessons the hard way rather than submitting to His prescribed way in the Word. He has even shown me drag marks where I have been rebellious and He has helped me to see that I am not obeying Him. The saying comes to mind, “a picture is worth a thousand words.”

Let God’s Word guide, correct, instruct, lead, teach, and confirm. Do not proceed ahead without it—ever.     psalm-119-105

Tomorrow: The Authority of God’s Word over Our Lives.

Advertisements

1. mushtaq_tariq
    Aug 29, 2013 @ 17:02:20

JESUS (May he be blessed forever) IN CHRISTIANITY: Second member of Triune God, Son of first part of Triune God (Not son of son, Not son of holy spirit), and at the same time “fully” God in every respect, but died as ordinary mortal man since God cannot die.
    JESUS (May he be blessed forever) IN ISLAM: A very elect and highly esteemed messenger of God with miracles. No Muslim is a Muslim if he does not believe this.
    Al Quran: Surah/Chapter 005 – Al-Mâ’idah. Verse 75.
    The Messiah, son of Mary (Jesus), was no other than a messenger, messengers (the like of whom) had passed away before him. And his mother (Mary) was a saintly woman. And they both used to eat (earthly) food. See how we make the revelations clear for them, and see how they are turned away!

• Chris
      Aug 30, 2013 @ 00:00:30

Dear Mushtaq,

I have only one question for you. Do you believe that Jesus rose from the grave?

I ask this question in a respectful way. I am curious to see your answer.

2. Mannyr
    Aug 29, 2013 @ 19:12:26

I must say that as a Christian I am blessed by my Savior whose life has gotten us redemption from sin. We as Christian’s do not serve a dead God. His bones are not now nor ever have been found on this earth.
    “He is risen” is the good news of the gospel. Meaning of course that the sin issue has been paid for by the man Jesus the Christ of God according to the oldest Scriptures. Jesus came as the Son of Man, and as the Son of God. Fully man to live a sinless life as the Lamb of God who taketh away the sin of the world by His voluntary, substitutionary death on a cross to redeem creation which had fallen due to Adam and Eve’s sin.
    In the NT book of John the disciple and later Apostle of God said, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” This Scripture speaks to us from the original Greek text which is a text that is very specific by design. It is unlike our Elizabethan or corn flake American derivative we have today.
    That is a very important fact to assure the intent of the Apostle’s words. In the second section of this verse it says in the original: “and the Word was with God,” interpreted as Welcome Mushtaq-Tariq. I welcome your input. We have different beliefs, but can express ourselves according to them.
    That is a very important fact to assure the intent of the Apostle’s words. In the second section of this verse it says in the original: “and the Word was with God,” interpreted as — it is translated as “The Word (Jesus) stood face to face with God (Father). It means that they are the same in essence and in their roles as God. Jesus came as God in the flesh to redeem His creation.
    Jesus rose from the dead on the third day according to the Scriptures and appeared to over 500 people. The disciples who were mere men who abandoned Him later were martyred for their faith in Jesus as the Son of God.
    it is translated as (I tried several times to paste the words here in Greek but it would not let me) “The Word (Jesus) stood face to face with God” (Father). It means that they are the same in essence and in their roles as God. Jesus came as God in the flesh to redeem His creation.

Aug 29, 2013 @ 23:57:41

Know that woodshed well. And I know I haven’t been there the final time.

Another excellent post, Manny. I am really enjoying this series. Psalm 119 is an amazing work of art, as is all of God’s Word.

His Word is the light for our path.

Thanks for your work on the issue of the importance of God’s Word.

4. Mannyr
    Aug 30, 2013 @ 14:55:42

Thanks to you for your faithful comments. Yes, the shed is hopefully diminishing. We have such a great treasure in the Word.

Blessings

5. icanseealight
    Sep 01, 2013 @ 16:55:30

Love your post.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )