Renewal of the Mind.

In Colossians 1:9 the Word of God says, for this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you be filled with the knowledge (epignosis Strong’s #1922) of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding…Paul is addressing the widespread heresy’s of his day as well as what had come to the church in Colosse. We face the same threat today with widespread religious pluralism and syncretism (diluting of truth for the sake of unity) plus the ever increasing seeker friendly “purpose driven drivel” and ever increasing “happy face” mentality of positive confession.

This form of new knowledge (Greek gnosis) which is self-serving leads Paul to pray that the Colossians fully attain to and be controlled by the fullest and clearest knowledge (epignosis) of God’s will. So where do we go, back to Romans 12:2?

And do not be conformed to this world (Strong’s #165 Aion, an age, a period of time) but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. Romans 12:2.

And do not be conformed to this world, (Interlinear Greek-English New Testament) renders this as: and not fashion yourselves to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind for to prove by you what is will of God the good and well-pleasing perfect will of God.  I think we can say there is a whole lot of fashions coming and going.

fashioned

To “renew” is “to renovate,” implying a restoration to freshness or to an original state. When something is restored  in the Scriptures, it is always increased, multiplied, or improved so that its latter state is significantly better than its original state Joel 2:21-27.

This shows us the power of redemption to reinstate features of God’s original intention for humanity and a recovery of many potentialities of the human mind and soul as designed before the fall.

The “mind” forms the intellect or understanding, but also includes all that is described in the word “mind-set,” that is, the feelings (emotions) and the will. Being “transformed” by the renewal of the mind indicates a literal “change in the form or formulas of thought or being.” Here is the definition of redemption’s provision of power to instill godliness in us— a power that transforms:

• Our thought, which lead to formulating (Prov.23:7)
  • Our purposes, dictate our actions, which lead to
  • Actions become character- determining habits, shaping the life and setting the course for the future.

The road to godliness is not hard to follow, nor is it energized by the flesh, but it does call the believer to willing submission to the father’s provision and His ways.

Advertisements

1. Delight in Truth
    Jul 30, 2013 @ 18:05:32

Love the post, Manny. Particularly the mention of pluralism and syncretism. Ecumenical approach to unity while sacrificing biblical truth is killing large portions of the church.

The big one is the exclusivity of salvation through Christ. Denial of this is universalism and it is encroaching on many churches even in the Bible Belt like Chris R mentioned in a previous comment.

Another big one is the issue of homosexuality and the various grades of acceptance in church.

A smaller but important issue, at least for me, is the irreverent worship being displayed in some churches. I have seen people at church like they are dressed to go to a night club.

Some of these folks need a major transformation of the mind…

Thanks for a great post.

• Mannyr
      Jul 30, 2013 @ 19:07:54

Delight, it is very sad to see these issues growing with wide acceptance. I have to wonder why pastors are reluctant to stand in the pulpit and remind the body that holiness (sanctification) is the first and foremost doctrine (bad word) of the body of Christ not love. We all know love is to be held and practiced as very important, but love and its misapplication (silence at the cost of forsaking Scriptural correction) “speaking the truth in love” is always the way,but now that everybody is on board the “loveboat” there is a clear call to define “Eros,” from “Phileo,” forgetting that the highest “Agape” is from God only and will not flow when sin is present. His mercy flows and is mistaken as His love.

The absolute horror of the worlds “Fashion” is alive in far too many churches. There is no “fear of God” reverential awe and respect.

Jul 30, 2013 @ 20:31:57

Great post, Manny.

This is my favorite scripture about renewing the mind:

Psalm 51:9-11

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

9 Hide Your face from my sins
    And blot out all my iniquities.

10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,
    And renew a steadfast spirit within me.

11 Do not cast me away from Your presence
    And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.

12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation
    And sustain me with a willing spirit.

13 Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,
    And sinners will be converted to you.

I grew up in the LCMS (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod). Almost every Sunday the liturgy included verses 10-12. It is quite a catchy tune for liturgy AAMOF. (I like how Pastor Ken Silva turns everything into an acronym. He is getting better from a recent illness BTW.)

What you have both stated about irreverence and fashion can’t be over-stated. There is a local church that does some things right, but they also put a fighting cage in their parking lot once and year and beat each other up. The goal is to raise hunger awareness. There are some folks who get canned goods out of the deal, but I’m sure some wonder “Isn’t there a better way?”

I could give you multiple examples of churches that do much worse, but I will spare you the pain.

And talk about pain, don’t get me started on universalism.

We are on the way to becoming “one big happy family.”

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (What an 8th grader would say)

“Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me.”

Amen.

God’s blessings to both of you and your families.

AAMOF = As a matter of fact

• Mannyr
      Jul 31, 2013 @ 03:00:10

i agree Chris, i also like your acronym. I think every generation needs to speak to the issues that try to stop The Church of God in their time. Far too many temptations are readily available legally or otherwise. Character is a one of the big issues which includes a word that is almost extinct, integrity. We must not lose site of our true home which is eternal, many are shipwrecked on the present and all its deading vices.

3. kingintraining
    Aug 13, 2013 @ 07:23:11

LOL – “purpose driven drivel”! This purpose driven stuff is what is causing this terrible acceptance of abortion and homosexuality in the church. It freaks me out how many Christians are compromising the Word of God just to keep on the good side of homosexuals- and at an alarming rate! I agree with you – a misapplication of love (lol, I like the “loveboat” explanation!)

• Mannyr
      Aug 13, 2013 @ 18:26:40

It is very sad indeed. it has been building for a long time. It is not just the gay issue which will only grow like a horrible nightmare, but a dedicated attack is being carried out against the truth once delivered to the church. Major doctrines of faith are being ridiculed and dissected to cause mass confusion and doubt; even denying the foundation of our faith. Very sad.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )