Dreams and Visions—False Prophets

Knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation (*origin), for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction. 2 Peter 1:20, 21; 2:1.False Prophet

Prophecies, propheteia,  Strong’s #4394:”to speak,” the primary use of the word is not predictive, in the sense of foretelling, but interpretive, declaring, or forth-telling, the will and counsel of God.

When prophets, dreams, and visions are false, they lead people away from God, cultivating  a spiritual recklessness and moral irresponsibility (Jeremiah 23:32). Here is a test to determine if any revelation is true or false. Does it reinforce God’s Word and:

• Lead me to Christ and fill me with love for His church.
  • Align itself with the clear and complete teachings of the Bible;
  • Strengthen my faith and give me an honorable purpose in life;
  • Turn me from wrongdoing, promoting righteousness and purity in my life;
  • Find wide acceptance and affirmation by notable men and women of God;
  • Build up body of Christ, equipping believers for the work of ministry?

In our text verse 1:20 can be translated to say that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private *origin, that is of the prophets own interpretation of his vision. Verse 21 makes clear the reason: the prophets spoke as the Holy Spirit guided them. This answers the false teachers’ interpretation, who, without the Holy Spirit, discounted the OT prophetic word (2:1;3:1-6,16).

A prophet, therefore, is primarily a forth-teller, one who speaks forth a divine message that can at times include foretelling future events. Among the Greeks, the prophet was the interpreter of the divine will, and this idea is dominant in Biblical usage. Prophets are therefore endowed with insights into the counsel of the Lord and serve as His spokesmen. Prophecy is a gift of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor.12:12), which the NT encourages believers to exercise, although at a level different from those with the prophetic office (Eph.4:11).

This will end our series on Dreams and Visions.

Advertisements

Jul 10, 2013 @ 21:29:18

This is an excellent list of determining factors, Manny.

A question: “Do you think the pope is a false prophet?”

This question was asked of me by a Muslim friend over the net. My answer was: “yes,” but I noted that it was “off of the cuff.”

I am going to work on a blog post dealing with this subject. My research will start tonight.

Looking at your list this one sticks out in the pope’s case:

“Align itself with the clear and complete teachings of the Bible”

Popes have taught many things that do not line up with the Bible. How they get their theology is something I’m going to check out.

This article says he is:

I have a lot more research to do before any posting and haven’t even read this entire article yet.

What do you think?

God’s blessings…

• Mannyr
      Jul 10, 2013 @ 23:13:48

Yes I do think the Pope is a false prophet. No doubt the present man is a good fellow. The whole history of the Roman Catholic Church is very heretical in doctrine as well as practice. One of the biggest things i detest is the deliberate hindering of getting the Word of God into the hands of the average person. Remember what they did to Tyndale. Also the non-sense of the latin usage finally dropped in services. There are so many false teachings that are not only mind boggling but an insult to Jesus. their doctrine is absurd, and for too many centuries people were afraid to confront for fear of being killed.

I won’t even get into my ancestors from Spain and their disgusting inquisition and the mass murder and forced renunciation of Hebrew faith to so called Christian faith. I remember asking our Lord why that church is still around after all their disgusting ways. He said I have used them to preserve the church in a crude manner through centuries of sin. Well from what I have read they claim all their leaders have come from the lineage of the Apostles. Dugh! Since when does birth lineage have anything to do with true Christianity. The shoes of Peter my foot. My grandparents were Christians (Pentecostals) but that don’t mean manny gets to claim being a Christain because they were. Oh my gosh, what a can of worms.

If we don’t think it is a church of man and his religion think about the Tower of Babel and what they were really trying to do. I really get bothered by folks who claim the Trinity is a Catholic doctrine. So Jesus was lying when the Father spoke to Him, and the Holy Spirit never conceived Jesus in Mary’s womb, Jesus was really talking to Himself on the cross. Most importantly on the day of His resurrection He was raised having lied. Bad theology from people who should know better.

Blessings Chris.

Jul 11, 2013 @ 04:03:04

You know much more about Catholics than I do, Manny. I have Catholic friends whom I believe are going to heaven. They don’t know all of the false doctrines that you have mentioned, but I am familiar with some of them. Many Catholics believe in the true Trinity. Then again, I am not the Judge (Matt. 7:1). God will make the important decision.

It’s the leadership of the “church,” that is to blame; on the world, national, and local levels. I’ve heard good sermons in Catholic churches that mentioned none of the things the priests know about the true theology of the “church.”

Martin Luther got it right.

It is by grace alone that we are saved (Eph. 2:8-9)

The post on the pope may not be up until the end of the month, as I have much to learn.

Blessings in Jesus name…

There is a documentary about Catholicism being made by a young apologist I am familiar with. When it appears on You Tube, I will link to it.

• Chris
      Jul 11, 2013 @ 04:08:46

Here’s a sample of what is to come by Keith Thompson:

• Mannyr
        Jul 11, 2013 @ 05:13:56

Wow, a lot of truthful information. it is sad i know a man who was a believer for years and recently turned to Catholicism. This new Pope is not only a Jesuit but a Universalist.”Everybody is saved by Jesus because we are made in the image of God.”

Jul 18, 2013 @ 02:18:09

I went to a 1 1/2 hour presentation tonight at “The Garage Church” (affiliated with the parenting center where I work) to hear a woman, who has lived in Africa, talk about Muslims.

She told a story about a dream that a Muslim had where Jesus was seen. The Muslim is now a Christian. It is verification of the stories that Delight has heard.

I just thought you and your readers should know, Manny.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )